Suppression of delaminations and crack propagation in the composite materials will be solved by modification of the polymer matrix to improve its interaction with the surface of the reinforcement.
The development of modifying components will be divided into several ways:
· Synthesis of modifying structures:
a) Star-like methacrylate molecules with different composition (current level TRL 4, target level TRL 6)
b) Star molecules with functional groups capable of:
- Reacting with a polymer matrix or
- Reacting with a modified reinforcement or
- Creating hydrogen bonds with the composite reinforcement. (current level TRL 4, target level TRL 6).
· Modification of polymer matrix by selected types of nanoparticles:
a) Carbon structures type single-wall carbon nanotubes (SWCNT) or multi-wall carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) which surface will be modified either chemically or with plasma low-t temperature discharge. (current level TRL 4, target level TRL 7)
b) Selected types of Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxanes (POSS) which have in their structures inbuilt suitable types of functional groups. (current level TRL 3, target TRL 4)
c) Reinforcement modification structures, possibly reinforcement treatment. (current level TRL 4, target level TRL 6).
d) Selected rubbery particles with suitable surface properties (current level TRL 4, target level TRL 5-6)